Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Mirror, Mirror On The Wall....

Howdy friends!  How are things where you are?  Life is great here, and I've finally gotten around to working on a project I've wanted to do for a while now.  I cannot for the life of me find the blog that I originally saw this concept on, so I'm very sorry that I cannot give proper credit to that person.  Basically, I've been visiting a few sites that focus on decorating homes on a small budget.  I've been trying to work on things in my home to make it more special for our family - but I don't want to spend a lot of $$$.  Even better is finding stuff I already have and make it fresh and new.

Here is what I'm talking about:


I really love this mirror!  My mom and her bestie Cindy found it for me and gave it to me as a house warming gift when we moved into our new home 7 1/2 years ago!  It kinda looks weird in this picture though (note to self - take a photography class, girl!!) and I don't know what those weird lines are in the mirror, but I promise they really aren't there.  I've toyed around with painting it black, but that's for another day.  So for now, on to the original plan. 

I have started to collect vinyl that I can cut with my Cricut.  I have done 2 projects so far as a test run - one is a peace sign for my daughter's room, the other is using the outline from said peace sign to make a t-shirt she wanted too.  Now, its been easy to work with so far and this project will test my patience.

  I wanted a saying cut out on vinyl and placed on my mirror.  Let me tell you, it really takes that patience - I probably worked on it from start to finish about 8 hours.  That includes getting the phrasing laid out in my Cricut Design Studio software, cutting out on paper to make sure the size is right, making adjustments, cutting out vinyl and CAREFULLY taking it off the mat. 

 By the way, don't let it stick to itself because you WILL have to remake it - trust me, I know these things!!  And then, voila!  Put it on the mirror, step back and admire yourself, er I mean your work!!



Probably should have used a ruler to measure the in between spaces, but oh well - for now that is enough.  I'll go back another day and scrape off the top line and start over.  I wonder how long it will take for hubby to notice - usually he will right away, but his week is busy!

If you feel inspired, look around and see what you already have in your home that you could make fresh and exciting again!  I'd love to see your results if you want to share.  Just leave me a link in the comments section so I can come visit you too!!  Happy crafting friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment