Monday, March 5, 2012

Take a Bite out of....

Strawberry Bread!



Howdy friends!  Just popping in for a minute to share a fabulous Strawberry Bread recipe that I made this morning.  It is super easy and quick - oh, and most importantly - TASTY!  I was looking through my refridgerator this morning and noticed my strawberries were looking a bit sad.  Now, they were not gross by any means, but I knew within a couple of days they were going to be bad.  So, I remembered a yummy recipe I made before and dug it up.

This recipe is from a book I purchased many years ago at a Moms Club event.  It is titled Great Friends Great Tastes: A Celebration of Life, Food, and Friendship by Debbie Meyer


I adapted the recipe to make it a 'bit' healthier, and it turned out great!  Here is what I did and I'll note where I made the adaptions.

Fresh Strawberry Bread

2 cups washed and hulled whole strawberries
3 cups plus 2 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups sugar, plus extra to sprinkle on strawberries (Recipe calls for 2 cups, but I didn't want to put that much in!  I used Splenda on my strawberries and would have used it in the recipe too, but didn't feel like opening all those little packets!)
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cups of unsweetened applesause (Recipe calls for 1 1/4 cups of vegetable oil)
4 eggs, beaten
(Recipe calls for 1 1/4 cups chopped pecans, but I omitted them)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Slice strawberries, place in bowl and sprinkle sugar - set aside.  Grease loaf pans (I used 4 small loaf pans).  Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda in large bowl.  Mix well.  Blend oil and eggs into strawberries, add to flour mixture.  Add the pecans if using them.  Stir until ingredients are moistened.  Bake 40 minutes for small loaf, 50 minutes for larger loaf.  Cool 10 minutes before turning loaves out.

Enjoy!


Oh, I also mention that I've made it just like the original recipe (minus pecans) and it is super delicious!  It is a tad oily with the original, but I guess you could cut back on the oil a bit.  I absolutely loved this bread the first time around, but with my substitutions, I feel a bit less guilty eating it!!  Mmmm - my family is going to be so happy to see this when they get home today!  Oh, lets keep the secret of the substitutions between us, m'kay!

Have a blessed day!

Jennifer

I am linking this up today:


2 comments:

  1. You are bringing some tonight...right?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy, will have to add to my list of "try these"!

    ReplyDelete